Enterprise Platform Vendors Express Enthusiastic Support for World’s Most Popular Open Source Database
Major New Version Delivers Advanced SQL Standard-Compliant Features
Such as Stored Procedures, Triggers, Views & New Pluggable Storage TYPEs
UPPSALA, Sweden & CUPERTINO, Calif. — October 24, 2005 — MySQL AB, developer of the world’s most popular open source database, today announced the general availability of MySQL 5.0, the most significant product upgrade in the company’s ten-year history. Starting today, MySQL 5.0 can be downloaded under the open source GPL license at http:/dev.mysql.com.
"We are quite proud to deliver this new version of MySQL — as it includes the most-requested features from our users, customers and partners," said Marten Mickos, CEO of MySQL AB. "With their feedback, we have been able to provide important enterprise-class features while staying true to MySQL’s renowned heritage of high-performance! , reliability and ease-of-use."
MySQL 5.0’s Enterprise Database Features
The new MySQL 5.0 combines enterprise-grade reliability and performance with advanced SQL 2003 standard-compliant features, making it the most cost-effective database solution for business-critical applications. The product’s new functionality will be especially familiar to database developers and DBAs of proprietary relational database systems — allowing IT departments to ease the integration and transition of their data, applications and skill-sets.
MySQL 5.0 delivers dozens of new enterprise features, including:
- Stored Procedures and SQL Functions — to embed business logic in the database and improve performance;
- Triggers — to enforce complex business rules at the database level;
- Views — to ensure protection of sensitive information;
- Cursors — to allow easier database development and reference of lar! ge datasets;
- Information Schema — to provid! e easy access to metadata;
- XA Distributed Transactions — supports complex transactions across multiple databases in heterogeneous environments;
- SQL Mode — provides server-enforced data integrity for new and existing data;
- New Federated and Archive Storage TYPEs — MySQL’s unique pluggable storage TYPE architecture allows greater flexibility, functionality and performance by making it easy to swap database TYPEs in and out, based on users’ application requirements;
- New Migration Toolkit — A new graphical toolkit that completely migrates all data and objects from Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access and other database platforms to MySQL;
- Instance Manager — new management assistant that allows remote starting/stopping of any MySQL Server, as well as remote editing of configuration files, reading of error and query logs, and more;
- Updated Connectors and Visual Tools! — new high-performance versions of MySQL’s ODBC, Java and .NET database drivers are now available, along with updated versions of the MySQL Query Browser and MySQL Administrator.
"MySQL 5.0 represents a huge leap in features and functionality for the MySQL database," said Gunter Rombauts, European IT manager for Chicago Metallic. "As a worldwide leader in metal ceiling systems, it’s critical that our database supports heavy-duty enterprise applications with speed and reliability.? We are looking forward to using MySQL 5.0 as a key component of Chicago Metallic’s global IT infrastructure."
Industry Support for MySQL 5.0
Over 30 enterprise software and database tool vendors have expressed support for MySQL 5.0. These third-party partners’ products and platforms will be certified for MySQL Network, the company’s commercial database subscription service. They include Acronis, ActiveGrid, Actuate BIRT, Agresso, Alphasoftware, Arkeia, Business ! Objects, Embarcadero Technologies, Emic Networks, Four J’s, Go! ldenGate Software, HP, IBM, Informatica, Jaspersoft, NEC System Technologies, Novell, Pentaho, Quest Software, Samsung SDS, SAP, SourceLabs, SpikeSource, SSA Global, Steeleye, Sumisho, Sun Microsystems, SugarCRM, Zend, and Zimbra.
SSA Global, a leading global provider of extended enterprise solutions and services, will certify SSA ERP LN 6.1 with MySQL Network 5.0 before the end of this year. "MySQL 5.0, with its enterprise-class features, represents a very cost-effective and proven database alternative capable of meeting our customers’ toughest requirements," said Rick Bernard, vice president Solutions Management, SSA Global. "SSA Global is committed to Open Source solutions, and support for MySQL is the next significant step in delivering value to our customers."
Ton Dobbe, product marketing manager for Agresso, states, "Apart from being the most popular open source database with over 6 million active installations worldwide, MySQL 5.0 also provides our clients with ! a robust, viable alternative to traditional offerings in the market at total cost of ownership savings of up to 90 percent."
Platforms and Availability
The production version of MySQL 5.0 is available now for Linux, Windows, Solaris, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, HP-UX, IBM AIX 5L and a range of other operating systems.All MySQL database software is available under a dual licensing model. Developers and organizations can choose between an open source (GPL) or a commercial MySQL license, depending on their deployment requirements. End-user enterprises can also subscribe to MySQL Network, a comprehensive set of certified software and premium support services.For software downloads and additional information, visit http://www.mysql.com/products/.
MySQL AB develops and supports a family of high performance, affordable database products. The company’s flagship product is MySQL, the world’s most popular open source database, with more than 6 million! active installations. Many of the world’s largest organizatio! ns, including Yahoo!, Sabre Holdings, The Associated Press, Suzuki and NASA are realizing significant cost savings by using MySQL to power high-volume Web sites, business-critical enterprise applications and packaged software.
With headquarters in Sweden and the United States — and operations around the world — MySQL AB supports both open source values and corporate customers’ needs in a profitable, sustainable business. For more information about MySQL, please visit www.mysql.com.
# # #
MySQL is a registered trademark of MySQL AB in the USA and other countries. Other products mentioned may be trademarks of their respective companies.